Laurel floor lamp. Exterior vinyl flooring
Laurel Floor Lamp
- A torchiere (tour-she-AIR or tour-SHARE), or torch lamp, is a lamp with a tall stand of wood or metal. Originally, torchieres were candelabra, usually with two or three lights.
- A floor lamp comprises a stand that supports the bulb holder and bulb, which is shaded to distribute light. Like table lamps, floor lamps cast a warm, ambient, cozy glow, and are also good for delivering local light to a couch or chair.
- A tall lamp designed to stand on the floor
- Adorn with or as if with a laurel
- United States slapstick comedian (born in England) who played the scatterbrained and often tearful member of the Laurel and Hardy duo who made many films (1890-1965)
Laurel Court Shade Arc Floor Lamp
This floor lamp's contemporary good looks are matched by its practical design. The custom-made shade features a plastic diffuser at the bottom to prevent glare. The shade pattern is printed on high-quality canvas with the same technique used in reproducing museum-quality artwork. The base features a sleek, brushed steel finish. U.S. Patent # 7,347,593. Brushed steel finish. Custom giclee shade. On/off switch. Takes two 100 watt bulbs (not included). 71 1/2" high. Shade is 16" wide and 5 1/2" high.
Union Square Savings Bank
Daryl Roth Theatre, Union Square, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
The Union Square Savings Bank, originally the Institution for the Savings of Merchants' Clerks, was built in 1905-07 to the designs of Henry Bacon in a bold and monumental Academic Classic style popularized by the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago. It is his largest and best-known bank commission. The Union Square Savings Bank enjoys a prominent position on the east side of Union Square at the corner of East 15th Street, and Bacon's design accentuates its prominence with a freestanding portico supported on four giant Corinthian columns and a monumental entranceway behind the columns. It was also an unusual work for Bacon, who specialized in the design of public monuments and is best known for having designed the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., completed in 1923. The bank building remains largely intact on the exterior.
The Development of Union Square
The Commissioners Map of 1807-11, which first laid out the grid plan of Manhattan above Houston Street, allowed for certain existing thoroughfares to retain their configuration. Bloomingdale Road (now Broadway), and the Bowery intersected at 16th Street. The acute angle formed by this "union" was set aside by the Commissioners and named Union Place. Initially Union Place extended from 10th to 17th Streets, on land owned by the Manhattan Bank:
It then presented to the eye of the tourist and pedestrian a shapeless and ill-looking collection of lots, where garden sauce flourished -- devoid of symmetry and around which were reared a miserable group of shanties.
In 1815, the state legislature reduced the size of Union Place by making 14th Street its southern boundary. As the City expanded northward and land use intensified, the need for open spaces became apparent. A report drafted by the street committee in 1831 states the need for public squares "for purposes of military, and civic parades, and festivities, and ... to serve as ventilators to a densely populated city."3 Designated a public space in 1832 at the urging of local residents, additional land was acquired so that the area could be regularized. Graded, paved, and fenced, Union Place was finally opened to the public in July 1839. Throughout much of its history, the square has been used for public gatherings, political rallies, and demo nstrations.
By the 1850s, Union Square (as it came to be known) was completely surrounded by buildings including some of the city's most splendid mansions; but "already by 1860, the dramatic march of commerce had begun."4 Theaters, hotels, and luxury retailers predominated in the 1870s. By the 1890s, the vestiges of the fashionable residential area, as well as the elegant stores and theaters, had been supplanted on Union Square by taller buildings that catered to the needs of publishers and manufacturers who had moved uptown.
The Union Square Savings Bank stands prominently on the northeast corner of Union Square East and East 15th Street. The bank, originally called the Institution for the Savings of Merchants' Clerks, moved to this location in 1868, during a time when the area was being transformed from a residential to a commercial district. In 1905-07, the newly renamed Union Square Savings Bank replaced the older building with the present structure.
The Union Square Savings Bank
Originally located at 5 Beekman Street and later at 516 Broadway, the bank was founded in 1848 as the Institution for the Savings of Merchants' Clerks, by members of the New York Chamber of Commerce and the Mercantile Library Association, including prominent merchants William H. Macy and James G. King, to "encourage the clerks of business men to take care of their earnings."
The bank purchased a Greek Revival row house on the northeast corner of Union Square East and East 15th Street in 1867. After adding a mansard roof and new frontispiece to the row house, the bank moved its operations there the following year. In 1904, the bank successfully petitioned the Supreme Court of the State of New York for permission to change its name to the Union Square Savings Bank, claiming the former name was no longer suitable to an institution that "draws its depositors from all classes in the community, and not alone from merchants' clerks."
The petition also noted the bank's long presence on Union Square and its intention to construct a new bank building there as proof of its commitment to the Union Square area and as a further justification for the name change.
Banks and Architectural Imagery
As industry, business, and commerce prospered after the Civil War, New York became the nation's financial capital. Apart from a few imposing buildings on Wall Street, however, banks were for the most part located in converted residences, or in office buildings, but prior to the 1880s and 1890s, rarely in quarters designed for them. Property values b
614 Courtlandt Avenue Building
No. 614 Courtlandt Avenue , an early multi-use building in the Bronx, was built in 1871-72 for Julius Ruppert and contained a saloon, public rooms, meeting rooms, and a residential flat. Most likely the work of a builder-contractor, the imposing building displays a variety of early to late Second Empire style motifs successfully combined to reconcile the several uses contained within the building with their exterior expression. Hewlett S. Baker's renovation in 1882 only further enriched the facade.
The building is a monument to the first stage of urbanization within what had been the previously rural south Bronx, helping by its presence to establish a sense of place in the new village of Melrose South. No. 614 also has many of the stylistic features which characterized the buildings along the Bowery between Canal and Houston Streets in the area known as "Kleine Deutschland," where Julius Ruppert first established his business before following his fellow Germans to the Bronx. With its varied uses, the building sheltered a variety of German ethnic activities.
Melrose South and its Early Settlers
The majority of the mid-19th century settlers in New York City's future 23rd Ward (1874), the southwest Bronx, arrived from Manhattan's Lower East Side, eager to leave their noisy and dark, cramped and airless tenements. One of their earliest objectives was the sparsely populated freehold manor, seat of the Morris family who had been prominent in colonial government and the affairs of the early republic, which only recently had been opened for development. Though not a model for subsequent expansion, "New Village," the first subdivision, carries with it some of the method and some of the ingredients of those that followed. In 1848 an association 222 members strong, for the most part German and some Irishmen, mechanics and laboring men, met at the Military Hall at 193 Bowery. Represented by their agents, Jordan Mott, Nicholas McGraw and Charles W. Houghton, they had purchased 200 acres from Gouvemeur Morris, _ Jr.
Lots were drawn and assigned with but one proviso: each owner was to erect a house of no less than $300.00 value within three years, and Morris executed a deed to each new owner. In 1850 New Village became Morrisania, when Mott's early development along the Harlem River, (which had been Morrisania) became Mott Haven.
New Village's success inspired Morris to develop his property further. With Robert Elton and Hampton Denman he had Andrew Findlay, a surveyor, lay out several more communities, Woodstock, Melrose and Melrose East and South, in 1850. Melrose South was incorporated as a village a year later, and in 1864 Morrisania was incorportated as a township, embracing these and ten other villages.
At the time of its incorporation as a village, the boundaries of Melrose South were East 160th Street and the Village of Melrose to the north and East 148th Street and Mott Haven to the south. Its eastern boundary was the Old Boston Post Road (Third Avenue) and its western boundary the railroad. But before the Civil War the area was principally farmland. In 1856 the number of dwellings totalled 173; twelve years later there were 488. Like the citizens of New Village, the preponderance of Melrose South's first residents were German, seeking a healthier alternative to life on the Lower East Side.
Courtlandt Avenue, running north and south along a ridge, was the main shopping street, lined by beer halls and the scene of parades by German bands. Intersecting it, from south to north, were Mott, Benson, Denman,Gouverneur, Wilton, Schuyler, Springfield, Mary and Melrose streets.
The Protection Hall, whose members sponsored marching bands and drill teams, had its headquarters — incorporating a beer garden, bowling alley and dance hall — on the west side of Courtlandt between Springfield (154th) and Mary (155th) Streets. Melrose South had its own brewery, J. & M. Haffen's on Elton (152nd) between Courtlandt and Melrose. The Arion Liedertafel Hall was on the west side of Courtlandt between Benson and Gouverneur and so was the Melrose Turn v ere in. There were many beer gardens too. Indeed, Melrose South was compared with the area around Manhattan's Tompkins Square — "Kleine Deutschland," and Courtlandt was called "Dutch Broadway."
For example, in 1871 at the intersection of Courtlandt and Gouverneur (151st Street) — Ruppert's building would occupy the northeast corner — Jacob Sauter, a butcher, lived on the east side of Courtlandt north of Gouverneur; William Langrebe, a tailor, occupied the northwest corner of Courtlandt and Gouverneur; August Schulte had a grocery store on the southeast corner of the intersection. Andrew Schrenk, also listed on the southeast corner, may have lived upstairs. A rooming house occupied the southwest corner, among whose tenants there was an actor and an Irish laundress. August Frenke, a blacksmith in working in Manhattan, dwe
wood grain tile flooring
hardwood floor vacuum review
monogram lighting on dance floor
floor vase large
hardwood floors nj
china floor tile
radiant heat floors
types hardwood flooring